Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Z & E - The Subaru, first break down

Zander and I had gone on one or two really great dates and were planning on just going and hanging out at a park after I got off work one night. I got to the park, and it was completely empty. So I figured he was just running a little late. Fifteen minutes later he still hadn't showed up, and I was starting to worry that I was being stood up and he wasn't going to show. So I sat for another few minutes, starting to get angry that he wasn't coming to the park when he was the one who had decided that's what we were going to do. So I called him.

He immediately started apologizing, and then very embarrassed, told me that his car was dead on the side of the road between his house and the park, and he needed me to come get him. He had spent the last 30 minutes trying to get it to start. I drove over to where he was to help him out. On our previous dates he had been driving a pretty nice Galant. Little did I know that was his mom's car and he actually had a really old beat up 1983 Subaru. It was a nasty old yellow color, and seriously falling apart. I was a little taken aback by the change in 'rides', but considering just a year or so earlier I had been driving an 87 Jeep, who was I to judge? I kind of loved the old Subaru, much trouble as it caused us for the next year or so.

(This isn't the actual Subaru, but it looks just like it)

Chance would have it that as soon as I got there it started up just fine, or at least as fine as that car ever started. Once it was running he didn't dare slow it down or stop, so we drove up a little hill that was down the street, and then for some reason rode in reverse all the way back to his mom's house. Terrified me, but showed me that he knew how to handle a car, and was obviously very memorable.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Haha. I remember that car. It was actually in *pristine* condition when his grandma gifted it to him. Then Jen decided it was hers for a while... it didn't last too long after that.