Friday, August 22, 2008

Eyes and Ears


No, I didn't forget about writing on the blog, I just haven't been able to come up with anything that I wanted to write about. Just barely, however, a random thought came into my head, and I shared it with Stephanie, but now I think I want to explore it a little bit more.

I'm sitting here working on the computer listening to music, and I keep thinking I hear Noah crying, but I know that it isn't him because he's dead asleep, and it sounds further away from me than he is, so I think it might be the neighbors little boy Jaymon. Anyway, it got me to thinking about how incredibly hard it would be to take care of a baby if you couldn't hear. You wouldn't know if he was crying in the other room, especially in the middle of the night when he wants to eat. You also wouldn't be able to tell the difference between tired, hungry, and gas cries, so instead of going straight to the root of the problem you would have to go through all of them to figure out which one needs to be fixed.

After thinking about how glad I was that I could hear, of course I had to be glad that I could see. Aside from the obvious reasons of being able to enjoy the beauties of nature, I thought specifically of taking care of a baby. Mainly, how do you know if you got all of the poop off when you're changing a diaper? Or if your baby is starting to roll or walk, and they get away from you, it could be really hard to figure out where they went.

Side note: no, that is not my eye.

No comments: